Re: Ideas/solutions to caching identical objects ...

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 21:21:41 +0000

At 15:27 03/12/96 -0500, carson@lehman.com wrote:

>Duane> Then how do you map a requested UR[LIN] to the MD5?
>
>You maintain an index of UR[LIN] -> MD5 mappings.

This is really quite a lot of overhead for squid. Come on, its only going to
be used for things like MSIE/Netscape/Demo downloads with lots of mirror
sites. I think using a redirector would be far, far better as then you can
pick out most of these cases (e.g. looking for *.netscape.com) without
severely impacting the performance of squid.

Let's keep these minority gains out of squid. Squid is nice and fast, and it
would be nice to keep that.

Jonathan L.
Origin UK, 323 Cambridge Science Park,Cambridge,England. Tel: +44 (1223) 423355
--------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]-------
Help fight spam! http://www.vix.com/spam/ These opinions are all my own fault.