Upstream caches ACL policies and affects on downstream caches.

From: Andrew Leahy <A.Leahy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 12:36:05 +1100 (EST)

I'm forwarding this onto squid-users:

On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, David J N Begley wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Stephen Cliffe wrote:
>
> > I was browsing archie.au via a URL ftp://archie.au/micros and got
> > the following error message:
> > [Access Denied]

I've noticed this mainly on a bunch of ftp sites, my thinking is that the
SU cache is ACL throttling either "ftp" generally or some ftp sites. This
causes our 'downstream' caches some traumas if we hit on their cache! ie.
[Access Denied messages].

So it ends up that, upstream caching/proxy policies ARE affecting our
users! (okay - they CAN hit reload on their browsers and force a refresh -
but it still isn't very friendly).

Maybe, one solution would be for Squid to consult it's "acl's" when
responding to object requests from peer caches. For example, when the
Nepean cache polls SU for a "ftp" object the SU cache should either return
MISS or a status like "bugger off you can't get that from here". This
gives the Nepean cache the chance to try other caches in the peer group or
go get it direct.

Make any sense?
Andrew "Alf" Leahy, phone: 047 360385
Unix Administrator, mailto:alf@nepean.uws.edu.au