Re: Possible addition to Squid? + more

From: Glenn Chisholm <ichishol@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:59:42 +0800 (WST)

> Similarly to HTTP/1.1, a kind of Transfer-Encoding header (which can be
> used for indicating gzip or unix compress type compression) should be
> implemented in ICP as well. However, if it will be implemented in Squid, I
> think compression should be optional and Squid must be able to fall back
> to uncompressed mode whenever a sibling or a parent can not handle or do
> not want to handle compression for transfer.
> I can't estimate how much load compression will add to the system's load.

        You might as well be selective and allow customisation of
what types of objects will be compressed, so sites where load is an
issue can choose to only compress things with a particular type or
within a object size range.

        Another option would be only compress objects while the server
load is below a certain threshold.

        This would allow most users to tune the selections process to
get the most gain without totally stopping their caches.

Glenn

--
Glenn Chisholm				PH : 	 +61 09 351 3818
Network Services			FAX: 	 +61 09 351 2673