Re: Possible addition to Squid?

From: Andreas Strotmann <Strotmann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 10:26:34 +0100

Hi all,

> One of my colleagues asked a few days ago if Squid compressed
inter-cache
> object transfers. As far as I know it does not, but this sounds like it
> would be a worthwhile feature to have. Maybe lempel-ziv compression and
> packed transfers (and entire page's worth (or all objects requested/held
in
> the cache) of objects in one transfer, instead of one transfer per
object)
> for inter-cache transfers?

Although this sounds like an excellent idea in principle, you would gain
very little in practice.

The vast majority of bytes transfered on our VERY busy cache is

  1. images (GIF, JPEG,...), sound files, movie files, software archive
     files

  2. very small files

the first of which don't compress at all (they ARE compressed) and the
second of which usually fit into one IP packet anyway (so you don't gain
anything by the little compression you might get).

Furthermore, clients who'd profit from this, most often sit on the other
end of an auto-compression modem link, while clients on our LAN don't care
because data gets to them quickly enough either way.

Just my $0.02 ...

Andreas

--
Andreas Strotmann       / ~~~~~~ \________________A.Strotmann@Uni-Koeln.DE
Universitaet zu Koeln  /| University of Cologne   \