Possible addition to Squid?

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 22:38:36 -0500

One of my colleagues asked a few days ago if Squid compressed inter-cache
object transfers. As far as I know it does not, but this sounds like it
would be a worthwhile feature to have. Maybe lempel-ziv compression and
packed transfers (and entire page's worth (or all objects requested/held in
the cache) of objects in one transfer, instead of one transfer per object)
for inter-cache transfers?

I thought this would be useful. I have several caches connected to a central
point by way of 64k lines. My company is probably going to be running a
cache at this central point (phone exchange) which is the ideal location for
a parent cache for the caches connected by 64k lines (all the 64k lines
terminate at a router at the exchange). Compressed transfers would cut down
on bandwidth usage on the 64k lines. I am sure many others have similar
network topologies, especially ISP's with many customers. Something to think
about for Squid v1.2?

        -Bill kb8wyp

   * <*> Bill Wichers, kb8wyp, billw@waveform.net <*> *
  * **** Waveform Technology UNIX System Administrator *
 * * * *
* * * packet: kb8wyp@n8nnn.#semi.mi.usa.noam *
 * * * http://www.waveform.net/bill/ *
  * **** *
   * "SONET, ATM, and Microwave... The solutions for Speed" *