Re: Possible addition to Squid?

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:44:44 -0500

I would like to see it as a part of Squid but fully controllable by way of
some config file options. Perhaps a compress_pattern setting or something,
and of course a way to completely enable/disable compression.

        -Bill kb8wyp

At 07:38 AM 12/11/96 +1100, you wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Bill Wichers wrote:
>
>> Compression may well be a useful option for alot of sites. I know that alot
>> of places are paying by the byte and any traffic reduction counts. Primarily
>> I think compression would be of usefulness to those connected by slow or
>> unreliable links, or even those on fast links that are very heavily loaded.
>
>Okay - as I said, if it's a compile-time option, then those whose main
>concern is reducing raw traffic count (regardless of performance impact)
>can go that route, and those more interested in performance (willing to
>sacrifice some small cost-saving) can go that route, too.
>
>I just hope it doesn't become an integral part of Squid, to the extent
>that it's *always* there, whether it's enabled (through squid.conf option)
>or not. :-)
>
>Cheers..
>

>dave

   * <*> Bill Wichers, kb8wyp, billw@waveform.net <*> *
  * **** Waveform Technology UNIX System Administrator *
 * * * *
* * * packet: kb8wyp@n8nnn.#semi.mi.usa.noam *
 * * * http://www.waveform.net/bill/ *
  * **** *
   * "SONET, ATM, and Microwave... The solutions for Speed" *