Re: Possible addition to Squid?

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:40:59 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Andreas Strotmann wrote:

> Although this sounds like an excellent idea in principle, you would gain
> very little in practice.

Ack .. besides, let's not forget that part of the attraction to Squid is
that it's *small* and *fast*. Although, I s'pose it could be added as a
compile-time option so that those who want it could use it, and those who
don't would have a "classic" binary.

To the original author, hoping to perhaps conserve bandwidth on a 64Kbps
link - apart from whatever compression techniques may be available in your
network gear, all I can suggest is that you carefully watch/study the
usage logs of your proxy, then tune the TTLs and so forth to retain as
much information as possible, thereby reducing traffic *that* way.

Cheers..

dave

---
``The most obvious missing Webcam is the one that ought to be pointed at
Loch Ness.  Wouldn't it be cool if we could all search for Nessie without
leaving the comfort of our homes ... Note to self: Nessie and Elvis have
never been Photoed together.  Is that significant?''
   - Jon Casimir, Sydney Morning Herald, 22/10/96