Memory Requirements with Heavy usage

From: Richard Roderick <richard@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:56:05 -0800

Hello.

I've been running squid for awhile now, and it seems to be running great on
a Pentium 120 with 64MB of ram. I have the cache_mem setting set to 8MB and
my swap space is 2gig. Oddly enough the machine (not squid) is 60MB into
swap. The swap is not really that active, nor is the server running any
kind of load. So ignore the memory swap, i'm sure it is just idle
processes... ;)

Currently only a handful of people are using it (maybe say 100-200). It is
my intension to get all of our customers using it. We have over 300 phone
lines, and that is obviously growing. (joy)

So...
1. How much RAM do you think a squid machine would need to handle a pool of
   500 modem users?

2. How much RAM do you have in your squid machine and how many lines do you
   think are taking advantage of it?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Richard