Re: Help with parent cache

From: Alberto de Poo Bas <adepoo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 08:29:31 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> It probably means that the MS-Windows machine doesn't handle ICP :-( and
> hence Squid cannot detect if it's running fine or not.

I guess not.

> But the test with echo only proves that the parent machine is alive, not
> that the proxy runs fine.

Ok.

> Hypothesis: if the parent replies with a correct HTTP response, Squid
> still considers it as alive. What is the actual response ? (HTTP headers
> and data.)

I have to find out with one of the programs you recomend. If the Headers
and data are always the same when the program misbehave, can it be coded
as a no respond from the server in Squid, so then it go to direct
conection?

> In that case, the correct (IMHO) solution is to install Linux or FreeBSD
> on the PC and to run Squid on it. You cannot (IMHO) run a serious server
> on MS-Windows 95.

The software that control the faster connection is for Windows 95 only,
there is not even NT version yet. I guess that it can run from Windows
3.x. I read that Linux can run Windows 3.x programs... no I think it will
not handle the task.

Thanks for your information. It give me a lot of work :)

Alberto de Poo