Re: problems compiling Squid 1.1 release

From: Jonathan Larmour <JLarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:40:30 +0000

At 08:54 15/12/96 +1100, Robert Thomas wrote:
>> gcc -o dnsserver -g dnsserver.o -L../lib -lmiscutil -lbsd
>> dnsserver.o(.text+0x7d): undefined reference to `__res_init'
>
>That looks like a Slackware installation, with the old libc.. Read
>/usr/src/linux/Documentation on the current version of libc you should
>have. (This is what is causing the problem)

If this is the case, you should also be aware of a security problem. I think
there is a CERT advisory about it. Get BIND 4.9.5 from ftp.vix.com and
compile up the resolver library from there, and link with it explicitly
rather than the one in libc (if installed correctly, squid will detect it
automagically). Basically there is no check of the length of an IP address
causing potential buffer overflows.

(Does anyone know for sure the effect of shared libs in Linux with this,
i.e. identical symbols in different shared libraries? Does it follow the
order output by "ldd" as I greatly suspect?).

Jonathan L.
Origin UK,323 Cambridge Science Park,Cambridge,England. Tel: +44(1223)423355
------[ Do not think that every sad-eyed woman has loved and lost... ]------
Help fight spam! http://www.vix.com/spam These opinions are all my own fault