Re: problems compiling Squid 1.1 release

From: Ulf Schmidt <slash@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 18:36:33 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> At 08:54 15/12/96 +1100, Robert Thomas wrote:
> >> gcc -o dnsserver -g dnsserver.o -L../lib -lmiscutil -lbsd
> >> dnsserver.o(.text+0x7d): undefined reference to `__res_init'
> >
> >That looks like a Slackware installation, with the old libc.. Read
> >/usr/src/linux/Documentation on the current version of libc you should
> >have. (This is what is causing the problem)
>
> If this is the case, you should also be aware of a security problem. I think
> there is a CERT advisory about it. Get BIND 4.9.5 from ftp.vix.com and
> compile up the resolver library from there, and link with it explicitly
> rather than the one in libc (if installed correctly, squid will detect it
> automagically). Basically there is no check of the length of an IP address
> causing potential buffer overflows.
Hi,
thanks for all the hints so far. Allow one further question:
The problem I described occured after I upgraded my kernel (and nothing)
else from 2.0.21 to 2.0.21. Could it be that something regarding libc was
changed when updating the kernel? Unfortunately, installing the old kernel
didn't solve the problem. Right now, I can't even compile the last beta of
Squid 1.1. Do I have to re-install my whole linux?

Thanks, ULf

--
		               DET LAEUUUFT!!!
                  --> Ulf Schmidt - us@microtronic.de <---