Re: two links, one parent (or backup parent)

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:03:23 +0000 ()

Hi,

Alexander Rainchik wrote:
> Here we have two links to internet, a) one slow and b) one not-so-slow (our
> main link). There is a neighbor on slow link. Usualy we are using our
> not-so-slow link with no parents. Is it possible to make squid to use a
> neighbor on slow link as a parent when our main link to internet goes down?
> Just another backup solution. Any suggestions?

Normally, you would have to do it manually in case of an outage. I've
given this some thought as well so that it would work without operator
intervention. Maybe something in the cache_host definitions such that
we have a "hot backup" host that will be automatically used as a parent
if we get lots of ERR_CONNECT_FAIL errors (if you don't have a parent
by default). I guess you if you are using a parent on your main link,
and the main link fails, Squid will detect a dead parent and switch to
a lower-priority host. Is this right?

--
miguel a.l. paraz  <map@iphil.net> | iphil communications, makati city, ph
pgp key id: 0x43F0D011             | <http://www.iphil.net>