Re: Cookie problem & thanks

From: <carson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 13:12:58 -0500

>>>>> "Doug" == Doug Urner <dlu@wobble.albatross.com> writes:

Doug> We may want to consider the possibility of suggesting adding a "HIT"
Doug> request to HTTP that means "I'm a cache and I just served one of your
Doug> pages." It would add some overhead, but it seems like it might serve
Doug> the legitimate needs of both sides.

There's an easy way to do this with the current protocol. Just put a 1x1
pixel inlined image at the bottom of the page that's served with caching
disabled and count your hits from that. It should be loaded last by modern
browsers, so the delay in fetching it shouldn't be too painful.

Of course, you'll loose hits from folks with image-loadiing disabled, but
then they won't see the ads either. :)

--
Carson Gaspar -- carson@cs.columbia.edu carson@lehman.com
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~carson/home.html