Q: Using Squid on a firewall-Host? -Reply

From: <roger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 09:32:51 +1200

Hi Frank

We are using both squid and http-gw on our firewall. Squid is
providing the cahcing services while http-gw provides the
forwarding or our internal www servers to external sites.

Regards
Roger Gill
Network Engineer
Computer Services
Otago Polytechnic, NZ

>>> tekotago.smtp."frank@cas-gmbh.de" 17/December/1996 I
have heard that people replaced their http-gw of the
TIS-Firewall-Toolkit with squid. Is it sensible to use squid on a
firewall machine as a proxy? Can I use squid to forward http and
ftp requests both ways through the firewall it is running on?

I installed squid, and the only thing that is working right from the
start is that I can access outside Web-pages from inside our
firewall.

But when I try to access our own Web-Pages I get the message
that the
URL is wrong.

Is there an example squid.conf for this sort of setup (http,ftp)?
- The one provided with the distribution seems to miss out this
scenario. -

Thank you very much for any ideas!

Ciao,
-- Frank Wegner, mailto:frank@cas-gmbh.de