Squid 1.1 and the null byte at the end

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 12:20:12 +0100

Since I switched to Squid 1.1, HTML error messages apparently get a null
byte (\0) at the end. This confuses some programs (like UCB-Mail) when
doing "command-line" retrievals.

I do not observe this with Squid 1.0 machines, neither with normal HTML
files, only when there is a cache-detected failure retrieving the file
(connection refused, DNS error, etc). You can use a command like that one
to see the spurious character:

url_get -d http://wrong.server/ | od -c

Instrumenting the source code, I can see the error message which is
correct, even when stored in the entry with storeAppend (in store.c). It
is after storeAppend that it becomes corrupted.