minimal VM usage version of Squid

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 97 12:49:35 -0800

After receiving numerous messages about Squid's hunger for memory,
I spent a couple of days hacking up a version which writes immediately
to disk. It is probably inefficient to the other extreme--all objects
are written to disk. Uncachable objects are promptly removed.

This code seems to have a number of bugs still, but if you want
to try it out, it can be found at:

    ftp://squid.nlanr.net/pub/Testing/squid-1.1-novm-src.tar.gz

You certainly should not replace your existing squid installations with
this one. But I'd be interested to hear from people concerning its
perceived performance. And of course any bug fixes would be wonderful.

Duane W.