Re: Transparent caching

From: Todd Graham Lewis <lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 14:49:56 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, John Volanthen wrote:

> What facilities does linux provide to do this, whach kernel version is
> required, i was looking at doing something similar by hacking the IP code
> in the kernel but this sounds much better ....

This facility is a compile-time option on all fairly recent kernels. (All
v2 kernels, to my knowledge, include it.) The option is called
"Transparent Proxy", and here's the description from the kernel source:

IP: transparent proxying
CONFIG_IP_TRANSPARENT_PROXY
  This enables your Linux firewall to transparently redirect any
  network traffic originating from the local network and destined
  for a remote host to a local server, called a "transparent proxy
  server". This makes the local computers think they are talking to
  the remote end, while in fact they are connected to the local
  proxy. Redirection is activated by defining special input firewall
  rules (using the ipfwadm utility) and/or by doing an appropriate
  bind() system call.

I investigated this some months ago, so I'll see if I can dig up the
messages I got from others more knowledgeable about how to do it than
myself.

Also, should we decide which of the two lists upon which to conduct this
discussion? Sending messages to both seems kind of silly.

__
Todd Graham Lewis Linux! Core Engineering
Mindspring Enterprises tlewis@mindspring.com (800) 719 4664, x2804