Re: running from inittab

From: Russell Street <r.street@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 15:50:36 +1300 (NZDT)

> A recent post suggested always running from a script (eg RunCache) to
> ensure that the proxy stays up, should it tend to crash.
>
> Has anyone tried just putting it in inttab(5) and letting init(8) deal
> w/ keeping it up? (I'm presuming a sysv style init(8), of course.)

I have not personally tried running Squid from inittab, but RunCache
gives you several things:

* a small delay between squid dieing and restarting (to let all those
half closed sockets close)

* it gives up if it tries to run squid N times in M minutes. N and M
are considerably lower than init will give you.

* output from the squid process starting up redirected into a file and
no all over your console (great when you hit the above condition)

* an extra process hanging around consuming swap space et al ;)

* if you try hard enough the entire squid system can run easily as an
unprivledged user. inittab makes it more difficult.

* the squid-users mailing list is not bombarded with people saying
"how do I get my squid to run under inittab and why won't it give me
back the console" :-) [See also the SGI FAQ for traps for young SGI
players when editing their inittabs.]

* "inittab is not a family file"

YMMV, of course.

Russell