Re: A Question ... (dumb?)

From: Francis Vidal <francis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:54:14 +0800 (HKT)

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Leo Andrew A. David wrote:

> I had just configured squid only as HTTP, my question is,
> if I want to enable the FTP or make modifications
> in SQUID.CONF, should I kill the process name
> that squid is running and re-execute Squid?

normally, you would only send HUP signal to squid whenever you make
changes to the squid.conf file.

        kill -HUP `cat /var/run/squid.pid` or
        killall -HUP squid

this will cause the squid to re-read the squid.conf file.

> ..Or would the existing Squid that is executing on my
> server set itself on the modifications made?
> I had executed 'RunAccel' then (2 months ago), but now I
> can't seem to find it executing. And so...how can I kill
> that process and re-execute it with new modifications in my
> SQUID.CONF? what process name should i kill now?

if you look at the system processes, ("ps -ax" on my system), you can see
a) squid -sY b) 5 dnsserver c) ftpget -S 1630 ... if you want to re-read
squid.conf, kill it with a HUP sig. killing "squid" with kill -9 will halt
the dnsserver and ftpget.

> and!! =o)
>
> how squid servers can be part of the hierarchy?
> where in the SQUID.CONF should i make modifications?

what do you mean modifications? the squid.conf contains a lot of
documentation, please read it.

... [ francis vidal ] systems administrator, @usls, univ. of st. la salle
    phone +034.435.2324 mailto:francisv@mozcom.com
    http://www.lasaltech.com/~francis mailto:francis@usls.edu
    P G P key available at ftp://ftp.usls.edu/pub/pgpkey/francis.pgp