Re: squid as mirror

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 22:40:03 +0000

On Tue 14 Jan, 1997, Richard Hall <hall@charon.ns.utk.edu> wrote:
>and it is configured so as to exclusively and optimally serve this
>purpose. This machine is basically mirroring netscape.com.

that could bring up a whole host of copyright issues and hoards of
lawyers beating down your door.

>3. The "mirror squid" attaches an accurate expires meta-tag to pages it
>serves so that they can be reliably cached locally, thus minimizing
>traffic to the "mirror". All objects would expire at the time when the
>prefetch program runs.

you still have to deal with people clicking 'reload' or otherwise
forcing a re-fetch; and is saving time on one single transfer (the
pre-fetch versus the first client to request the file) really worth
it?

Actually netscape.com reminds me of another problem: you can fetch
documents from their servers using a variety of names:
home.netscape.com (preferred?), www.netscape.com, www{n}.netscape.com,
home.mcom.com (old browsers), www.mcom.com, etc... all affecting
the efficiency of a cache. (They're not the only guilty party, though.)

Some sort of host-aliasing directive (One could take it a step
further and implement URL aliasing, but then you might as well use
the redirector, as others are doing) could possibly be simple to
put inside the core Squid code?

James.