Re: squid as mirror

From: Richard Hall <hall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 18:08:32 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, James R Grinter wrote:
> forcing a re-fetch; and is saving time on one single transfer (the
> pre-fetch versus the first client to request the file) really worth
> it?

It's worth it if the pre-fetch is running at 4am.

> Actually netscape.com reminds me of another problem: you can fetch
> documents from their servers using a variety of names:
> home.netscape.com (preferred?), www.netscape.com, www{n}.netscape.com,
> home.mcom.com (old browsers), www.mcom.com, etc... all affecting
> the efficiency of a cache. (They're not the only guilty party, though.)

I should have addressed this. The dedicated squid could take care of this
for everyone else by running a redirector tailor-made for its dedicated
domain. Everyone else sends their netscape.com and mcom.com requests to
the mirror squid, and it deals with the redirect, etc. This is what I
meant by the mirror squid being devoted to a particular domain. Instead
of everyone running a redirector and trying to optimize it, we split up
the work, so that I might create a redirector customized for
netscape.com, and you might make one for microsoft.com, etc. It's a
cooperative thing, so that no one has to create a massive redirector to
handle all the "guilty" sites.

BTW, I just downloaded wget. It sounds like it will do what I want it to
do as far as prefetching. Anyone like or dislike it? Know of other
options? Thanks.

Richard Hall
Network Services
University of Tennessee