Re: UDP and TCP

From: Nico Tranquilli <nico@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:24:22 +0100 (MET)

You, Bernd Zimmermann, wrote:

> Hi,

> can someone explain the internal difference between an UDP- and a
> TCP-Hit logging ?
> The longer I look at the log files the more I get confused by them.

> I thought a parent is asked via UDP if an object is in its cache and if
> so the object is requestet via TCP (expecting UDP_OBJ_HIT). Isn't it ?

UDP_HIT_OBJ occurs when the object is asked via UDP (ICP) and, due to the
HIT, is returned in the icp hit response packet.
You can turn off HIT_OBJ replies turning off udp_hit_obj in squid.conf

A TCP HIT is logged when you ask via HTTP (TCP) and the object is found in
the cache.

Nico.

--
Nico Tranquilli
CINECA - Interuniversity Computing Centre