How much memory is enough?

From: Antony Tovar <atovar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:00:14 +0100 (MET)

I am currently running Squid 1.1.0 on Linux 2.0.0, as a departmental Proxy
Server (60 users), on a 486 with 16MB of RAM. I need to recommend a system
to act as the parent cache for the entire organization. I would like to use
an inexpensive (and easily repaired) Intel clone, such as a Pentium 133,
with a 2GB SCSI hard drive, and Linux.

My question is: how much memory is enough? The standard for most of our new
desktops is already 32MB. By varying the "cache_mem" setting in my
department's SQUID.CONF, I seem to be able to limit the memory usage to the
available RAM, thus avoiding the disk memory-swap-file. But I have seen
some messages referring to Squid's "continual increase" in memory usage,
over time. Does this mean Squid needs to be re-started on some sort of
regular basis? Is the amount of RAM used a function of proxy disk cache
size, number of simultaneous users, or both? Can we install this simplified
system (P133,32MB RAM, 2GB disk) and "force" Squid to run in less than 32MB
of memory? If we force it, and 32MB isn't "enough", what will be the
consequence, (only) slow performance or something more drastic?

Thanks in advance!
Ciao,

* Antony Tovar Dipt. Scienze Economiche *
* Universita' Ca' Foscari *
* E-mail: atovar@unive.it Ex-Ospedale Giustinian *
* Phone: (39) 041 257-8392 Dorsoduro, 1454 *
* Fax: (39) 041 257-8365 30123 Venezia ITALIA *