access.log and ICP_QUERY

From: Jon Peatfield <J.S.Peatfield@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:17:30 +0000

We see far more ICP_QUERY logs than anything else. Are people actually
interested in the UDP_MISS entries?

I like keeping logs for a long time (well reasonably long), but had to start
throwing logs away when the access.log files exceeded 200M (after gzip -9 of
course).

In a typical log file I see:

  ~85% UDP_MISS
  ~04% UDP_HIT*
  ~11% TCP*

I am interested in the UDP_HIT* entries but couldn't care less about the
UDP_MISS ones. I'm thinking of patching Squid to just keep a tally of the
UDP_MISSes and write a single log entry every few thousand saying how many
UDP_MISSes it has seen (but not bothering to log the URLs).

 -- Jon