RE: WinGate and Squid

From: Adrian Sunderland <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:23:18 -0000

Hello Mario,

Are you trying to setup Squid on the WinGate side or the remote side of your dial-up link. We have customers who run WinGate on their LAN and connect to us over a dial-up link. So to improve their performance we remove the standard http mapping from WinGate and add a custom one that maps the proxy machines port 80 to www-cache.griffin.co.uk:3128 therefore forcing all the LAN requests to go through Squid at our end.

Now, what would be nice would be to have squid on a box on the client side of the connection. However if you were going to put a unix type machine on their end of the connection, you may as well use the same box as the proxy for other services as well and kick WinGate into touch.

Adrian Sunderland.
Griffin Internet, UK.