Re: "Anonymizing" SQUID

From: Cord Beermann, Webmaster der FH Lippe <webadm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:37:08 +0100 (MET)

Hallo! Du (Angelo Ginocchio) hast geschrieben:

>The Anonymizer (http:\\www.anonymizer.com)acts as a middleman between
>you and the document you want retrieve.
>The Anonymizer Server (Proxy) retrieve documents, without revealing
>client's identity, and then send the document back to client.
>I was wondering to modify SQUID code in order to perform similar
>actions. To be specific I'm mostly interested in put apart from
>http all info about client (ip addr, email addr, cookies, etc).
>Suggestions, ideas or whatever you think could be helpful
>is greatly appreciated,

<IMHO>I think that anonymizer.com has to engage ten more people, who
only have to laugh and rotate on the floor, because of the users who
use their 'service'.

Yes, they don't give the client's identity to other servers, but
they can record user profiles for a whole WWW-session, not only the
behaviour of a user on one Website.</IMHO>

I suggest to be careful with such services, it is much more safe to
anonymize by yourself.

You can use Squid for this, You can switch the compile-time option
USE_ANONYMIZER on, and Squid will strip a lot of headers from your
requests.

Cord

--
Cord Beermann, Webmaster der FH Lippe