Problems with caching ftps....

From: James E Hammick <J.E.Hammick@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 16:12:09 +0000 (GMT)

List members,

        I have a problem with caching ftp's. Our squid cache is setup to get
anything in the uk domain directly otherwise to use either its one neighbour (I
believe the neighbour runs a harvest cache) or from one of six parents all
running Netscape Proxy 2.5 Caches.

Ftps from hosts in the uk domain work fine. Ftps of files from hosts outside
the uk domain work fine. Ftp's of non root directories fail giving the following
 message :

Found

This document has moved to a new _location_. Please update your documents and
hotlists accordingly.

Where _location_ is a links to exactly the same place. This only happens if it
is not the root of the ftp server. For example ftp://ftp.apple.com works fine
but ftp://ftp.apple.com/pub fails with the above recursive redirection....

This problem occurs with both 1.1.5 and 1.1.6, the hosts systems is a 4
processor Sparc1000 with 128Mbytes of ram and an 8 GByte cache directory
running Solaris 2.5.1.

I've got a cache.log of a failing ftp with debug_options = ALL,9 if that is of
any help (It to big to include here....)

I have uses a netscape remote proxy configuration file to work around this for
Netscape users but other clients cannot use the work around....

My questions are :

(1) Have I discovered a bug ?

(2) Is there a way to configure squid to fetch all ftp's itself while
continuing to use its nighbours and parent for other protocols ?

Thanks in advance

James

James Hammick
Unix Systems Support & Development
Southampton University Computing Services

 James E Hammick : Bld 54 2003 : Tel (01703) 592420 or ext 2420 : Bleep 2420