cached files don't transfer

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:10:00 +0100 (MET)

Squid-1.1.4
Netscape 3.0

I ftp'ed one big file (15MB SP40_NT) from microsoft.com yesterday.
For some reason I don't know the transfer didn't complete.

That was done without cache_host enabled. My squid (1.1.4 BTW) runs in a
local network behind an ISDN dialup connection.

Today I wanted to fetch that file again. The transfer started and
after some 2 to 3 MB were transfered at ISDN rate (7.2 KB/s) the
Filetransfer finished (as if it would have transfered all bytes,
no error message).

After that I entered a cache host entry and restarted the transfer.
This time and the subsequent times the transfer went at 440 KB/s,
obviously from the cached file). I repeated the four to five times.
Each time no attempt was made to fetch the rest of the file
from the network. I removed the cache_host entry again and restarted
squid.

What can I do about it? Is there a way to flush the cache? E.g.
send suiqd a signal to cause it flush the cache?

Could it be that the original - which was fetched from the
german microsoft site - was incomplete itself?

Are there known probleme with situations like the one described,
that is when a transfer doesn't get completeted or is interrupted abnormally
that then the cached file is take as if it were complete?