Re: FTP content type revisited..

From: Peter Wemm <peter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:45:58 +0800

David J N Begley wrote:

> > > Ditto.
> > It does have a mime.types style file, except it's compiled into the
> > executable rather than read at run-time.
>
> Ack - we mean an external types file, perhaps sharing one with all the
> other applications that use 'em these days...

My complaint is that the builtin mime.types etc is filename *extension*
based - .Z, .zip, .gif etc. There's no way to extend the mime.types
based ruleset syntax to specifiy things without extensions, eg: "README",
"INDEX" etc.

If the mime.types tables and rulesets could be enhanced to specify
filenames in an optional regexp format instead of just the extension, the
problem of "README" and friends could be fixed quite simply.

Cheers,
-Peter