Re: FTP content type revisited..

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:10:42 +1100 (EST)

On 20 Feb 1997, John Saunders wrote:

> > > Well, I would be very happy if squid used a mime.types file and anything
> > Ditto.
> It does have a mime.types style file, except it's compiled into the
> executable rather than read at run-time.

Ack - we mean an external types file, perhaps sharing one with all the
other applications that use 'em these days...

> > > that didn't match was given a default type, ie: text/plain, just like an
> > Errm, "eg" rather than "ie" - it's not a done-deal that the default for
> > unknown files is "text/plain". ;-)
> Actually the default type was decided to be application/octet-stream, if

I meant in relation to Web servers (since that was the context in which it
was stated); the Web server administrator can choose whatever default
type they want (we use "octet-stream"), so "text/plain" shouldn't be an
assumed universal default of Web servers (or proxies, or...).

> P.S. I would have prefered text/plain as the default because doesn't
> everybody use SHIFT-click to for downloads? :-)

No! :-)

David J. N. Begley <d.begley@nepean.uws.edu.au>
Network Analyst, Communications Unit
University of Western Sydney, Nepean