Re: FTP type proposed solution..

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:15:48 +0000

On Tue 25 Feb, 1997, Trevor Paquette <tpaquett@aec.ca> wrote:
>But you can't do that with Netscape/MS IE can you? Can you ftp MANY files
>at a time? I don't know how with either broswer.. so it is not an issue for
>me.

I don't think it's even this bad.

>On Feb 25, 13:34, Ong Beng Hui wrote:
>> There will be some performance problem with this method.
>> For instance, if someone were to check the directory of a
>> large ftp archive with 100 files, you will have to download
>> 100 * x bytes and fire up 100 connections.

I don't see why you need to do this. It doesn't really matter what
types/icons you present people in a directory listing. What matters
is what type you send them.

The only issue, that I can see, is that you need to read a number
of bytes before you can commence sending any headers and response
to the client requesting the file. Normally you could send them
straight away. This probably isn't that critical - most of our clients
are on much slower lines than us, so they're not going to notice
a couple of seconds.

(I'm not sure that it's worth putting much effort into ftp though,
we only see an 8% hit rate max, here, and ftp just doesn't map well
into an http world. I don't recommend anyone proxies ftp if they
don't have to.)

-- jrg.