Re: Faster analyzing tools needed

From: <Claude.Gross@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:06:27 +0000

On Feb 18, 9:50am, Andreas Jung wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the last week I played around with the Squid logging analysis tools but
> most of them are really unusable because they are too slow.
> Example I tried pwebstats 1.0 with the squid logs of one month:
>
> -rw------- 1 www www 22124179 Feb 17 13:59 cache.convert
> -rw------- 1 www www 51150544 Feb 17 13:59 proxy.convert
>
> pwebstats needed about 6 hours on a Sparc 20 (2 CPUs) with 384 MB RAM, and
> 1 GB Swap. The main reason might be Perl however I'm not really sure.
> Are there any better(faster) tools available ?

I had the same problem with pwebstats, so I have modified the program analog
(http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/analog/), a very performing analyzing
tools for httpd server logs, to create a analyzing tools for squid.
Its name is prostat and you can get it at http://cache.cnrs.fr/prostat.

You can see examples of what it does at http://cache.cnrs.fr/stats.
It can generate english version of the pages if you put "LANG EN" in the
configuration file (if it's not good english, say it to me).

For people who use pwebstats, prostat can generate a cumulative page like
pwebstat and it use the same type of file than pwebstats for that (proxy.db).
So you can use your current proxy.db file for prostat if you rename the files
generated by pwebstats and move them at the right directory.

Sorry but the documentation is very poor at this time.

--
Claude GROSS                   U.R.E.C.