Re: Squid getting slow...?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 23:28:31 +0100

My first guess is that you are getting low on memory, and the machine
begins to page. Paging can have a very bad impact on Squid performance.

The output of
vmstat 5
possibly combined with
iostat 5

should give quite a good idea why the machine is slow (if it is due to
limited resources as memory, I/O or CPU)

8gb cache is a large number of cache entries. Each cached object
requires approximately 80 - 100 bytes memory for meta-data, the OS
requires it's share and add a couple of in transit objects + ftpget's
then 64mb is quite small...

---
Henrik Nordström