Re: Memory usage Squid ... or how to limit it...

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:41:28 +0200 (GMT)

Hi

> > > What we do here is using a simple shellscript, ugly but
> > > effective:

> > The reason squid is growing so big is that someone is probably downloading
> > a large file (there are some memory leaks, but most of the growth is because
> > someone is downloading a large file).

> > Squid NOVM does what you want. It keeps 100 megs on disk instead of
> > Ram.

> If you set the maximum object size to say, for example, 4MB, does
> it still hold the full 100 meg in memory or does it just pass the
> data straight through and not hold anything in memory?
It holds in in ram. There are no temporary files anywhere... :(

The 4M is a recommended limit... It has to store downloaded files somewhere,
and ram is (supposedly) more efficient than disk....

> How usable/stable are the NOVM versions now?
The only problem we have had is that it returns a "Document contains no data"
message whenever you would normally get an error message. (ie if there is no
DNS entry etc....)
(This is running it on an extremely unloaded system) Nlanr runs it on
one of their caches which gets about 20000 hits/hour though.

It is also still at version 1.6 as far as I can see.

        Oskar

'experience made art, but inexperience luck.'