Re: Multiple cache_dir questions

From: Henny Bekker <H.Bekker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 20:43:02 +0100 (MET)

Dear John,

> I have just upgraded the cache to use 2 x 3 Gig disk partitions. I simply
> added 2 cache_dir directives to the squid.conf file which I think is OK.

True.. beware to make cache_swap the sum of the total of the available
disk space..

> My questions is if Squid simply alternates between directories for storing
> new files, how does it balance the space usage of each directory? I.e. if
> random chance conspired to store larger objects in one cache_dir over the
> other, would Squid have a problem? Also if I wanted to have cache_dir's
> of different sized partitions, is this possible?

It simply alternates between the differend disk's and thus must be of equal
size.. With this algorithme the disk's (if large enough) will be filled
nearly equal.

Cheers, Henny

E-Mail: Henny.Bekker@cc.ruu.nl    ! Disclaimer: The main obstacle to progress
http    http://www.ruu.nl/~henny  !             progress is not ignorance,but
PTT:    Voice: +31 30 2536971 Fax: +31 30 2531633 ! the illusion of knowledge
X400:   /G=Henny/S=Bekker/OU=cc/O=ruu/PRMD=surf/ADMD=400net/C=nl         o
Paper:  H.J.Bekker, Utrecht University, Computer Centre              _  /- _
        Po Box 80011, 3508 TA  Utrecht  Nederland                   (_) > (_)