local_ip DNS lookup failure: immediate error message

From: Robert Kiessling - easynet <robert@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 11:56:22 +0100 (MET)

Hi Squidders,

on my Squid 1.1.8, I have turned on local_ip. This means that Squid
has to look up the hostname for each URL requested. A parent is also
configured.

If a request comes in with an unknown hostname (e.g. a typo), I'd
expect Squid to immediately return an error message to the requester.
Instead, the parent is queried in this case also, with the result that
the parent returns the error message.

Before digging through the source code myself, maybe someone knows if
you can make Squid return the error message immediately if the DNS
lookup is made anyway instead of unnecessarily querying the parent.

Of course, there may be cases where this is not desirable (e.g. if you
DNS server does not have complete information), so this should be
configurable.

Thanks,

Robert

--
Robert Kiessling      easynet DV GmbH      http://www.easynet.de/
network administrator Naegelsbachstr. 25   Tel.:+49 9131 8967 0