Re: Configuration question

From: Ricardo Galli <gallir@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 12:53:38 +0100 (GMT+0100)

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Gavin Cameron wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running a squid cache using 1.1.8 and I have access to another squid
> cache running 1.1.6 who is my parent.
>
> I'd like to setup my squid so that it works in the following way:
> 1) all local misses go to parent, I mean everything including
> cgi-bin, etc.
> 2) if parent is dead or not responding then go direct

This is the normal behavior with parents.

> Normally I would use the inside_firewall directive to force all traffic to
> my parent but this causes errors if the parent can't be found.

Not needed, if you configure a parent, all traffic go through him.

> At the moment I've got the parent cache defined in my cache_host line, I
> don't have inside firewall defined and all requests are going out
> direct. The log file says DIRECT or TIMEOUT_DIRECT.

You will see direct when the requested URL matches some of the stop list
patterns (or local machines list), for example .../cgi-bin/... or
url?arguments

TIMEOUT_DIRECT is logged when the parent did not answer with an ICP packet
before the timeout (default=2 sec).

--ricardo