Re: Hmmmm.

From: Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:34:01 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Mark Treacy wrote:

> What follows is a patch to 1.1.8 for a possible way to implement a helper
> unlinkd. Someone just needs to put in the code that implements the
> interprocess protocol...
>
> >> #1. Something that's dead easy to do that'll give an immediate 20%
> >> improvement on our box is to has a seperate process doing the
> >> unlink()'s. i.e. spawn off
> >> perl -nle unlink
> >> and write the name of the files to the process instead of trying to do
> >> it in squid. Nice and easy to do.

If unlinking expired objects is time consuming because of the constant
inode metadata updates, it might be an idea to suggest to people with busy
caches to 'mount -u -o async /cachedir' on those OSs that support it.
Linux does not need this, apparently, because ext2fs defaults to async
mode. Async mode causes the inode metadata to be written to disk at the
next sync(), rather than immediately.

Danny