Re: Large, busy, caches... problems?

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 00:49:02 +0100 (MET)

In article <13549.859396006@ash.ukc.ac.uk> you write:

>Would other users of large, busy, caches care to comment on their
>experiences? (Particularly with respect to the problems encountered
>when paging or operating during the clean cycle.)

Have a look at:

        http://www.IAEhv.nl/users/devet/squid/timer/

It describes a patch with which you can do some time measurements. It was
inspired by a similar patch for INN done by Joe Greco. I used it to
ananlyze and find the problem I had with one of my proxy servers.

It was having serious response problems (5-20 secs for TCP_HIT's) with
60-70 Kbyte/sec total transfer rate at 30000-35000 conns/hour but today I
found (part of) the problem and it's now doing 100-130 Kbyte/sec total
transfer rate at 40000-45000 conns/hour with <1 sec response times for
TCP_HIT's. Cache size is 3.5 GB.

Arjan