Re: HELP! How should I change squid.conf for two cache_dir?

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:56:16 +0000

On Wed 26 Mar, 1997, Ong Beng Hui <ongbh@zpoprp.zpo.dec.com> wrote:
>I suggest the use of DB server as backend object store for Squid.
>There are some significant advantage of DB server especially
>when scaleablity is concerned.

the problem with this, as has been the problem with trying to do
similar things with news servers, is that no db systems really
work well with the access patterns you'll get.

you need to minimise the number of lookups before actually getting to
the real data, IMHO. (people are already realising that with news
servers, having to look up a message-id in a history database before
you can find it on the file system is a bottleneck).

James.