startup squid program suggestion change

From: Matthew McGehrin <n8walker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:28:07 -0500

Hi,
 Just wanted to make a small suggestion, in the order "squid" checks
when first "running".

The last thing it "checks" is if it can bind to the port or not.
Would it be "possible" to change that check to the beginning of the
routine. My reasoning:

I have a cron job that 'runs /squid/bin/squid &' every 5 minutes, to
make sure its running, so that my "proxy" users will never be more
than 5 minutes of downtime, and it seems to put a "small" load on the
server by "rebuilding" it every time I startup.

Is there another way to check to see if its "running" and if so,
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matthew

 97/03/28 04:30:01|commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 17 to
*:3128: (48) Address al ready in use

end
* Matthew McGehrin - n8walker/n8wabbit (Irc@Undernet) http://www.aeiou.com
* matthew@{toothfairy.com},n8walker@{aeiou.com, bcdfghjklmnpqrstvwxyz.com}