Re: startup squid program suggestion change

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 97 08:09:57 -0800

n8walker@bcdfghjklmnpqrstvwxyz.com writes:

>Hi,
> Just wanted to make a small suggestion, in the order "squid" checks
>when first "running".
>
>The last thing it "checks" is if it can bind to the port or not.
>Would it be "possible" to change that check to the beginning of the
>routine. My reasoning:
>
>I have a cron job that 'runs /squid/bin/squid &' every 5 minutes, to
>make sure its running, so that my "proxy" users will never be more
>than 5 minutes of downtime, and it seems to put a "small" load on the
>server by "rebuilding" it every time I startup.
>
>Is there another way to check to see if its "running" and if so,
>any suggestions would be appreciated.

For one, you can use a script like scripts/RunCache to restart
Squid if it exits.

Also, you can run 'squid -kc' to see if Squid is already running.
It reads the squid.pid file and will tell you (via the exit status) if
that processid is running. e.g.:

    bin/squid -kc || echo "Squid is not running"

Duane W.