FD increasing - but still 256?

From: Karl Ferguson <karl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 18:56:25 +0800

Hi Everyone.

I've followed the instructions to increase file descriptors at
http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/linux-tweak.html .

However, on this step:

-----
•Edit /usr/include/linux/limits.h

Change OPEN_MAX to the number of filehandles that you want to be able to
open. Set NR_OPEN to the same value Copy limits.h to /usr/include
-----

the limits.h file in /usr/include in completely different to the
/usr/include/linux one. In fact, if I grep it for "256" is says nothing.

In any case, I followed the instructions futher and found that this step:

-----
•Edit /usr/include/linux/posix_types.h

Increase FD_SETSIZE to double OPEN_MAX
-----

hasn't got a "FD_SETSIZE" value - but I did find a "__FD_SETSIZE" which I
set to 2048 (because I'm increasing to 1024 FD's).

Ok - I've recompiled 2.0.29, rebooted, recompiled squid 1.1.8novm - it said
it could open 1024 filedescriptors - great I thought!.

However, when checking with the cachmge.cgi output it says the max number
of filedescriptors is still 256 - what is lying here? and am I really at
256 or 1024 FD's?

   Karl Ferguson,
   Tower Networking Pty Ltd                     karl@tower.net.au
   t/a STAR Online Services                      karl@debian.org