Squid Startup / Config Problems

From: Matt Robinson <connect@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 21:38:49 +1000

G'Day All,

I have just installed a new Linux Box (2.0.29) and am having major problems
getting squid to run properly on it. Squid Version 1.1.8 for i586-pc-linux-gnu

When starting up the server it never comes back from the prompt....

I have looked at the processes and the root daemon and 8 children processes
are starting up.... then this little dubious one:
        /usr/local/squid/bin/ftpget -S 1638

i have looked at a friends machine and this one doesn't start on his... but
he has no idea of the problem.

That aside the server DOES work.... and running it with squid & (or even
RunCache) fixes the problem.....

So does anyone KNOW why this is happening ????

i also get a few 'Page fault - could not write to physical i/: XXX' in the
logs when it goes - so how bad is this one ? I have tried it on two boxes so
I don't think that this is the problem.

Also, on caching, I have gone through some 150+ messages on the correct
settings for squid and the connect caches.... does anyone have OPTIMAL
settings for the following:

Sydney based - 128K link
128M ram in machine (need about 32 for other stuff)
2G cache (pull about 100Mb new stuff a day)
Want to be able to keep big files in there (say up to 16Mb)

That's about it.... I dont think its working properly yet - keep getting
misses to connect :-(

Thanx for any help... to keep noise down, please send replies to
matt@mania.com.au

I'll send anyone my .conf file if anyone can help!

Greatly Appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Matt Robinson BCompSci
Internet Mania

P.S. All this ICP stuff is really scarey :-)