Re: Squid as a load balancer???

From: Peter Danzig <danzig@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 14:34:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Thomas,

As for the commerical harvest cache (http://www.netcache.com),
we can support multiple virtually hosted backends, so you
can use it as a URL redirector.

The UI for virtually hosting multiple backend servers is available
at: URL http://your.host.name:3128/cache_config/accel#httpd_vhost
Follow the links to documentation.

One way to make it do exactly what you want is to put the other two
servers in a DNS rotation

Peter

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Squid now for a month or so as an HTTPD accelerator, and a=
> quite impressed with how its working and its managability.
>
> In the 1.1 release notes there is some brief notes on the URL redirector. On=
> sentence says ". . . provides a mechanism to use a single Squid cache as a
> front end to numerous servers on different machines". Is there any more
> documentation on doing this?
>
> Here's what Id like to do. I have an existing HTTP server running on a Sparc=
>
> Server 1000, and have just gotten a new Enterprise 3000. I'd like to duplica=
> te
> the 1000 system on the 3000 system, then on a third smaller Ultra system I'd=
>
> like to run Squid as an HTTPD accelerator. Then I'd like to have the Squid
> cache redirect hits that are not cached to either of the two servers. I know=
>
> that Squid now has the "Network Probe Database", so maybe it could redirect =
> the server that responds faster via the ICMP data?
>
> If anyone has any ideas, or could explain how I might achieve this, I would =
> be
> greatly appreciative!
>

> Thanks in advance!
>

> Regards,
>

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
> -
>
> Thomas D. Briglia voice:415-506-8212 pager:1-800-6-PAGEME
> Internal Systems Engineering Services
> Oracle World Wide Customer Support Viva BSD!!!
> -

Peter Danzig               Architect, Web proxy products
Network Appliance              Direct:    (408) 367-3402
2770 San Tomas Expressway       Fax:       (408) 367-3451
Santa Clara, CA 95051             http://www.netcache.com