Re: To squid, or not to squid

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:04:49 -0500 (CDT)

> This is reasonable advice. I hate Microsoft and Netscape products but
> it's true Unix take time to master. If people are already knowledgeable
> in Windows NT, it can be a good idea not to switch to Unix just for Web
> caching.

Though to be fair, to balance this out, I've installed two squid caches
"out of the box" from the BSDI 3.0 distribution, and have not had any of the
troubles that all the people here post about. (Well, *once* the cache
exited for lack of ram - probably the process size limit - but that's all)

This has been the easiest "sit back and let it do its own thing" unix
system I've built in a long time. If the person asking is dedicating a
machine to squid (probably advisable) then I'd say getting BSDI with
squid preloaded is pretty much a no-brainer for anyone who knows how to
insert a CD in a drive :-) Certainly competes strongly with installing NT
to run any other cache.

PS With the ram set to 8Mb, the machine needed 48Mb fitted before
it ran comfortable. But we all know why that is by now. I think :-)