Re[2]: Error from xmalloc

From: Barrie Spence <barrie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 21:19:22 +0100 (BST)

Lincoln Dale <ltd@aone.com.au> wrote:
> In message <199704140946.AA282671209@h20-hrze.uni-duisburg.de>, hz258he@unidui.
> uni-duisburg.de writes:
> >I'd installed squid-1.1.8 on a HP-UX B.10.20 E 9000/871 Box. The RAM-Size is
> >512 MB. After I had increased the default value of cache_mem to 120 MB I found
> >the following message neerly three times a hour:
>
> >Apr 11 11:58:30 d370-hrz squid[4577]: xmalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 bytes!
> >Apr 11 12:30:42 d370-hrz squid[5108]: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 4096
>
> you probably need to tune the kernel parameters maxdsiz and maxssiz.
> while you're at it, you probably also want to touch maxfiles. also,
> hpux has a dictator approach to buffer-cache management. you probably
> want to change the bufpages setting too.
>
> all these are from memory, and applied in the days of HP-UX 9.xx. i'm
> sure they apply equally to hpux10 though.
>
> maxdsiz is the maximum data size, probably should be set to amount of swap
> maxssiz is the maximum stack size.
> maxfiles is the number of file descriptors per process
> i always went on bufpages = 0.1 * RAM(mb) * 256

HP-UX 10.X introduces a dynamic buffer cache on s800 systems (similar to the
9.x/s700, but it works better). To tweak the cache size, play with the parameters
which limit the size of the buffer cache - min and max percentage of RAM, not
bufpages (they should be resonably obvious in SAM).

I can't remember what the lower limit is, but the upper limit is 50% of RAM
(pretty generous if you have .5Gb to play with :)

I'd suggest leaving maxtsiz alone - it limits the size of the text segment (ie
executable code) and doesn't normally need changed.

By default, maxdsiz and maxtsiz are 64Mb.

Barrie

--
Barrie Spence			Sanity Clause? There is no Sanity Clause
Home: barrie@calvin.demon.co.uk		Telephone +44 1506 442304