Re: local_ip vs local_domain

From: Ingo Luetkebohle <ingo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:08:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Robert Thomas wrote:
> I think you're missing the big picture here. How often do you type in
> http://204.74.103.37/ rather than http://altavista.digital.com/ ?
> The proxy allready -knows- the fqdn.

We have a parent for everything. So, if we don't already have it in the
cache, we just ask our parent and therefore normally don't make a lookup
on the name, just our parent does.

I am getting the impression, though, that its always better to use
local_ip, in an effort to move burden away from our parent cache.

---/dev/il