Re: squid grows constantly

From: Gerd Magerhans <gerd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:01:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Ingo Luetkebohle wrote:

> Squid keeps using more and more memory. I have set "memory_pools" to
> 'off', and cache_mem to '16', yet currently (one day after starting) squid
> uses 53 MB (SIZE, 46MB RES) of memory. I don't have any clues whatsover
> why this happens. Can you give me a hint?

IMHO the value given with "cache_mem" is the amount
of memory to keep "hot objects" which are requested very
often for some increase of speed. The amount of used
memory is much higher because squid has to keep indices
of objects on disk in memory. And the more objects
are in Your disk cache and the bigger Your "cache_swap"
the more memory is used by Squid.

bye
    Gerd

--