Re: Problem with multi-homed Web servers

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:48:15 -0500 (CDT)

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Duane Wessels wrote:
> >
> > Currently we only try one address. If the connection fails, the
> > offending address is removed from the pool. If the connection
> > succeeds, we will use the next address for the next connection to
> > that host.
>
> Is this issue going to be addressed in an upcoming release? I don't see
> it on the todo list... Or is there some reason why IP address handling
> should be done this way?

I wonder if squids existing ICMP ping code could be used to intelligently
determine the best host to use? Valuable, since multi-homed hosts
could be on different continents specifically for efficiency's sake.
(For instance I have a customer in the UK who wants a mirror site
in the US, and I'm looking at doing it as a dual-homed site rather
than a different name. If I can ever work out for sure whether
it's worth doing)